TED:電影如何改變我們看待世界的方式?

2021-02-20 TED英語演講課

I'm a storyteller,

我是個講故事的人

but I'm also a troublemaker.

但我也是個麻煩製造者。

And I have a habit of asking difficult questions.

我有問困難問題的習慣。

It started when I was 10 years old,

從我10歲開始,

and my mother,

還有我媽媽

who was raising six children,

他撫養了六個孩子,

had no time for them.

沒有時間陪他們。

At 14, fed up with my increasingly annoying questions,

14歲,受夠了我越來越煩人的問題,

she recommended that I begin writing for the local English-language newspaper in Pakistan,

她建議我開始為巴基斯坦當地的英文報紙寫作,

to put my questions out to the entire country, she said.

把我的問題傳遍全國,她說。

At 17, I was an undercover investigative journalist.

17歲的時候,我是一名臥底調查記者。

I don't even think my editor knew just how young I was when I sent in a story that named and shamed some very powerful people.

我甚至不認為我的編輯知道我有多年輕時,我寫了一個故事,羞辱了一些非常有權勢的人。

The men I'd written about wanted to teach me a lesson.

我寫的那些人想給我上一課。

They wanted to shame me and my family.

他們想羞辱我和我的家人。

They spray-painted my name and my family's name with unspeakable profanities across our front gate and around our neighborhood.

他們把我的名字和我家的名字噴在我們的前門和我們的鄰居周圍,用無法形容的髒話塗上了我和我家的名字。

And they felt that my father,

他們覺得我父親

who was a strict man of tradition,

他是個嚴格的傳統人,

would stop me.

會阻止我。

Instead, my father stood in front of me and said,

相反,我父親站在我面前說:

"If you speak the truth,

「如果你說出真相

I will stand with you,

我會和你站在一起

and so will the world."

世界也將如此。「

And then he got --

然後他.

And then he got a group of people together and they whitewashed the walls.

然後他把一群人聚集在一起,他們粉刷了牆壁。

I've always wanted my stories to jolt people,

我一直希望我的故事能震撼人們,

to shake them into having difficult conversations.

說服他們進行困難的談話。

And I felt that I would be more effective if I did something visual.

我覺得如果我做些視覺上的事情,我會更有效率。

And so at 21,

所以在21歲的時候,

I became a documentary filmmaker,

我成了紀錄片製片人,

turning my camera onto marginalized communities on the front lines in war zones,

把我的鏡頭轉到戰區前線的邊緣社區,

eventually returning home to Pakistan,

最終回到巴基斯坦,

where I wanted to document violence against women.

我想記錄下對婦女的暴力行為。

Pakistan is home to 200 million people.

巴基斯坦有2億人口。

And with its low levels of literacy,

而且文化程度很低,

film can change the way people perceive issues.

電影可以改變人們看待問題的方式。

An effective storyteller speaks to our emotions,

一個善於講故事的人能表達我們的情感,

elicits empathy and compassion,

引起同情和同情,

and forces us to look at things differently.

迫使我們以不同的眼光看待事物。

In my country,

在我的國家,

film had the potential to go beyond cinema.

電影有超越電影的潛力。

It could change lives.

它會改變生活。

The issues that I've always wanted to raise -- I've always wanted to hold up a mirror to society -- they've been driven by my barometer of anger.

我一直想提出的問題-我一直想為社會樹立一面鏡子-它們是由我憤怒的晴雨表驅動的。

And my barometer of anger led me, in 2014,

我的憤慨導致了我,在2014年,

to honor killings.

為了紀念殺戮遇害者。

Honor killings take place in many parts of the world,

名譽殺人發生在世界許多地方,

where men punish women who transgress rules made by them: women who choose to marry on their own free will; or women who are looking for a divorce; or women who are suspected of having illicit relationships.

如果男子懲罰違反自己制定的規則的婦女:自願結婚的婦女;尋求離婚的婦女;或涉嫌有不正當關係的婦女。

In the rest of the world,

在世界其他地方,

honor killings would be known as murder.

名譽殺人就是謀殺。

I always wanted to tell that story from the perspective of a survivor.

我一直想從倖存者的角度講這個故事。

But women do not live to tell their tale and instead end up in unmarked graves.

但是女人活著並不是為了講述她們的故事,而是在沒有標記的墳墓裡。

So one morning when I was reading the newspaper,

所以有一天早上我讀報紙的時候,

and I read that a young woman had miraculously survived after being shot in the face by her father and her uncle because she chose to marry a man out of her free will,

我讀到一位年輕女子因自願選擇嫁給一個男人而被她的父親和叔叔槍殺後奇蹟般地活了下來,

I knew I had found my storyteller.

我知道我找到我的說書人了。

Saba was determined to send her father and her uncle to jail,

薩巴決心把她父親和她叔叔送進監獄,

but in the days after leaving the hospital,

但在離開醫院的幾天裡,

pressure mounted on her to forgive.

壓力越來越大,要求她原諒。

You see, there was a loophole in the law that allowed for victims to forgive perpetrators,

你看,法律上有個漏洞允許受害者原諒罪犯,

enabling them to avoid jail time.

讓他們免於入獄。

And she was told that she would be ostracized and her family, her in-laws,

她被告知她會被排斥,她的家人,她的姻親,

they would all be shunned from the community,

他們都會被社區拒之門外,

because many felt that her father had been well within his right,

因為很多人覺得她的父親已經在他的權利範圍之內,

given her transgression.

考慮到她的過往。

She fought on -- for months.

她戰鬥了好幾個月。

But on the final day in court,

但在法庭的最後一天,

she gave a statement forgiving them.

她說了一句原諒他們的話。

As filmmakers, we were devastated,

作為電影製片人,我們被摧毀了,

because this was not the film that we had set out to make.

因為這不是我們要拍的電影。

In hindsight, had she pressed charges,

事後看來,如果她提出指控,

fought the case and won,

打了官司贏了

hers would have been an exception.

她會是個例外。

When such a strong woman is silenced,

當一個堅強的女人被壓制時,

what chance did other women have?

其他女人有什麼機會?

And we began to think about using our film to change the way people perceived honor killings,

我們開始考慮用我們的電影來改變人們對榮譽殺人的看法,

to impact the loophole in the law.

影響法律的漏洞。

And then our film was nominated for an Academy Award,

然後我們的電影被提名為奧斯卡獎,

and honor killings became headline news,

名譽殺人成了頭條新聞,

and the prime minister,

首相,

while sending his congratulations,

在向他表示祝賀的同時,

offered to host the first screening of the film at his office.

主動提出在他的辦公室主持這部電影的第一次放映。

Of course, we jumped at the chance,

當然,我們抓住了機會,

because no prime minister in the history of the country had ever done so.

因為在這個國家的歷史上從來沒有首相這樣做過。

And at the screening,

在放映時,

which was carried live on national television,

在國家電視臺直播,

he said something that reverberated throughout the country: "There is no honor in honor killings,"

他說了一句在全國引起反響的話:「榮譽殺人沒有榮譽可言,」

he said.

他說。

At the Academy Awards in LA,

在洛杉磯的奧斯卡頒獎典禮上,

many of the pundits had written us off,

很多權威人士都把我們拒之門外,

but we felt that in order for the legislative push to continue,

但我們覺得為了繼續推動立法,

we needed that win.

我們需要那場勝利。

And then, my name was announced,

然後,我的名字被宣布了,

and I bounded up the steps in flip-flops,

我穿著拖鞋跳上臺階,

because I didn't expect to be onstage.

因為我沒想到會出現在舞臺上。

And I accepted the statue,

我接受了雕像,

telling a billion people watching that the prime minister of Pakistan had pledged to change the law, because, of course,

告訴十億人,巴基斯坦總理已經承諾要改變法律,因為,當然,

that's one way of holding the prime minister accountable.

這是追究總理責任的一種方式。

And --

然後.

Back home, the Oscar win dominated headline news,

在國內,奧斯卡金像獎佔據了頭條新聞,

and more people joined the fray,

更多的人加入了這場爭鬥,

asking for the loophole in the law to be closed.

要求堵住法律的漏洞。

And then in October 2016,

然後在2016年10月,

after months of campaigning,

經過幾個月的競選,

the loophole was indeed closed.

這個漏洞確實被堵住了。

And now men who kill women in the name of honor receive life imprisonment.

現在,以榮譽為名殺害女性的男性將被判處終身監禁。

Yet, the very next day,

然而,就在第二天,

a woman was killed in the name of honor,

一位女士以榮譽的名義被殺,

and then another and another.

然後又一個。

We had impacted legislation,

我們影響了立法,

but that wasn't enough.

但這還不夠。

We needed to take the film and its message to the heartland,

我們需要把電影和它的信息帶到中心地帶,

to small towns and villages across the country.

到全國各地的小城鎮和村莊。

You see, for me,

你看,對我來說,

cinema can play a very positive role in changing and molding society in a positive direction.

電影在積極改變和塑造社會方面可以發揮非常積極的作用。

But how would we get to these places?

但我們怎麼去這些地方?

How would we get to these small towns and villages?

我們如何到達這些小城鎮和村莊?

We built a mobile cinema,

我們建了一個移動電影院,

a truck that would roll through the length and breadth of the country,

一輛橫貫全國各地的卡車,

that would stop in small towns and villages.

這將在小城鎮和村莊停止。

We outfitted it with a large screen that would light up the night sky,

我們為它配備了一個能照亮夜空的大屏幕,

and we called it "Look But With Love."

我們稱之為「看但用愛」

It would give the community an opportunity to come together and watch films in the evening.

這將使社區有機會在晚上聚在一起看電影。

We knew we could attract men and children in the mobile cinema.

我們知道我們可以在移動影院吸引男人和孩子。

They would come out and watch.

他們會出來看著的。

But what about women?

但是女人呢?

In these small,

在這些小的,

rural communities that are segregated,

被隔離的農村社區,

how would we get women to come out?

我們怎麼才能讓女人出來?

We had to work with prevailing cultural norms in order to do so,

我們必須與主流文化規範合作才能做到這一點,

and so we built a cinema inside the cinema,

所以我們在電影院裡建了一個電影院,

outfitting it with seats and a screen where women could go inside and watch without fearing or being embarrassed or harassment.

為它配備座椅和屏幕,讓女性可以進去觀看,而不用擔心、尷尬或騷擾。

We began to introduce everyone to films that opened up their minds to competing worldviews,

我們開始向每個人介紹那些讓他們的思想向相互競爭的世界觀敞開心扉的電影,

encouraging children to build critical thinking so that they could ask questions.

鼓勵孩子們建立批判性思維,這樣他們才能提出問題。

And we expanded our scope beyond honor killings,

我們把範圍擴大到榮譽殺人,

talking about income inequality, the environment,

說到收入不平等,環境,

talking about ethnic relations,

說到種族關係,

religious tolerance and compassion.

宗教寬容和同情。

And inside, for women,

在內心,對於女人來說,

we showed them films in which they were heroes, not victims,

我們給他們看了他們是英雄而不是受害者的電影,

and we told them how they could navigate the court system,

我們告訴他們如何在法庭系統中航行,

the police system,

警察系統,

educating them about their rights,

教育他們了解自己的權利,

telling them where they could seek refuge if they were victims of domestic violence,

告訴他們,如果他們是家庭暴力的受害者,他們可以在哪裡尋求庇護,

where they could go and get help.

去那裡尋求幫助。

We were surprised that we were welcomed in so many of the places that we went to.

我們感到驚訝的是,在我們去過的許多地方,我們都受到了歡迎。

Many of the towns had never seen television or social media,

許多城鎮從來沒有看過電視或社交媒體,

and they were eager for their children to learn.

他們渴望孩子們學習。

But there was also pushback and blowback with the ideas that we were bringing with us.

但我們帶來的想法也遭到了回擊和回擊。

Two members of our mobile cinema team resigned because of threats from villages.

我們移動影院隊的兩名成員因來自村莊的威脅而辭職。

And in one of the villages that we were screening in,

在我們正在篩選的一個村莊裡,

they shut it down and said they didn't want the women to know about their rights.

他們關閉了它,說他們不想讓這些女人知道她們的權利。

But on the flip side,

但另一方面,

in another village when a screening was shut down,

在另一個村莊,當放映被關閉時,

a plainclothes policeman got up and ordered it back on,

一個便衣警察站起來,命令把它開回去,

and stood by,

袖手旁觀,

protecting our team,

保護我們的團隊

telling everyone that it was his duty to expose the young minds to an alternative worldview and to this content.

告訴每個人,他的職責是讓年輕人接受另一種世界觀和這一內容。

He was an ordinary hero.

他是個普通的英雄。

But we've come across so many of these heroes on our journey.

但我們在旅途中遇到了這麼多英雄。

In another town,

在另一個城鎮,

where the men said that only they could watch and the women had to stay home,

男人說只有他們能看,女人只能呆在家裡,

a community elder got up,

一位社區老人站起來,

got a group of people together,

把一群人聚集在一起,

had a discussion,

進行了討論,

and then both men and women sat down to watch together.

然後男人和女人都坐下來一起看。

We are documenting what we are doing.

我們正在記錄我們正在做的事情。

We talk to people.

我們和人說話。

We adapt.

我們適應。

We change the lineup of films.

我們改變電影的陣容。

When we show men films that show perpetrators of violence behind bars,

當我們放映那些在監獄裡施暴者的電影時,

we want to hit home the fact that if men are violent,

我們想告訴大家,如果男人是暴力的,

there will be repercussions.

會有影響的。

But we also show films where men are seen as championing women,

但我們也放映了一些電影,其中男人被認為是女性的代言人,

because we want to encourage them to take on those roles.

因為我們想鼓勵他們扮演這些角色。

For women, when we show them films in which they are heads of state or where they are lawyers and doctors and in leadership positions,

對婦女來說,當我們給她們看電影時,她們是國家元首,或者是律師和醫生,擔任領導職務,

we talk to them and encourage them to step into those roles.

我們和他們交談,鼓勵他們加入這些角色。

We are changing the way people in these villages interact,

我們正在改變這些村莊的人們互動的方式,

and we're taking our learnings into other places.

我們正在把我們的知識帶到其他地方。

Recently, a group contacted us and wants to take our mobile cinema to Bangladesh and Syria,

最近有一個團體聯繫我們,想把我們的手機電影院帶到孟加拉國和敘利亞,

and we're sharing our learnings with them.

我們和他們分享我們的經驗。

We feel it's really important to take what we are doing and spread it across the world.

我們覺得把我們正在做的事情傳播到世界各地是非常重要的。

In small towns and villages across Pakistan,

在巴基斯坦的小城鎮和村莊,

men are changing the way they interact with women,

男性正在改變他們與女性互動的方式,

children are changing the way they see the world,

孩子們正在改變他們看待世界的方式,

one village at a time, through cinema.

一次一個村莊,通過電影院。

Thank you.

謝謝。

相關焦點

  • TED演講精選:攝影專題(50部高清中文字幕合集)
    language=zh-cn《美國國家地理》雜誌攝影總監大衛·葛林芬堅信攝影有一種力量,能夠將我們與所生存的世界緊密聯繫在一起。在TED演講臺上,葛林芬通過他雜誌旗下攝影師拍攝的一系列經典攝影作品,向我們講述了如何用照片來敘事。http://www.ted.com/talks/david_griffin_on_how_photography_connects?
  • 法官解讀:如何看待字幕與電影翻譯權丨知產庫
    [知產庫]致力於高品質智慧財產權/公司實務分享[知產庫]編輯 /作者授權 /轉發歡迎 /轉載註明 如何看待字幕與電影翻譯權
  • 【今日影院】《上下顛倒》當萬有引力顛倒生活,讓我們改變宇宙或改變方式
    【點擊上方關注我們↗獲取更多分享】
  • TED演講 | 美國媒體背後的貓膩:新聞如何扭曲了我們的世界觀?
    國際公共廣播電臺(PublicRadioInternational)負責人艾莉莎·米勒(Alisa Miller)談到,儘管我們比以往任何時候都想更多地了解世界,但媒體實際上向我們展示的卻更少。她還向我們展示令人大開眼界的統計數據和圖表,揭開「言論自由」的美國媒體背後的「貓膩」。
  • 乾貨:如何利用TED學英語
    比如你能在TED上率先看到第一臺蘋果電腦;你能聽到微軟前首席技術官Nathan Myhrvold解說恐龍如何交配;《美食、祈禱、戀愛》的作者講過如何培養創造力;歌星博諾呼號召人們加入拯救非洲的行列;艾爾·戈爾談如何攻克全球氣候問題。
  • 求證:語言如何改變我們的性格?(中德雙語)
    科學家認為,舉止和思想改變是因為我們對每種語言都擁有不同的態度和期待。開普敦大學的語言學和文學教授卡洛琳·麥肯尼表示:「我們的身份不僅僅包含自我評價,還包含了我們怎麼看待他人對我們的認知。」確切來講:即使我們在講母語時十分自信、勇敢,在我們必須更換語言時會感到不安,特別是在這一段全新的、也有可能是消極的經歷中。這不僅僅和隨著時間推移而改善的語言水平密切相關,而且和我們和使用這門語言產生相關的社會經驗有關。
  • 新聞 | 流媒體是如何改變我們的生活的?
    今天最重磅的新聞只有一個:「同一個世界:團結在家」特別慈善音樂會。北京時間今天凌晨2點至10點,整整8個小時,由世界衛生組織與國際公益組織的「同一個世界:團結在家」特別慈善音樂會在線上直播。先來看三段本次「同一個世界:團結在家」特別慈善音樂會的精彩表演:「歌神」張學友獻唱《Touch of Love》滾石樂隊獻唱《You Can't Always Get What You Want》Lady Gaga、席琳·迪翁、安德烈·波切利、約翰·傳奇、郎朗壓軸表演《The Prayer》這是美國歌手Lady Gaga發起的一次慈善演出
  • 一個有著巨大爭議的悟空問答(科學篇):如何看待轉基因食品?
    今天的問題是如何看待轉基因食品?其實質就是問我們轉基因食品到底安全不安全?
  • 《熔爐》:小說、電影及其改變的韓國
    眾所周知,《熔爐》在韓國是一部改變了法律和社會乃至整個國家的電影,但是對於整個改變的歷程和始末未必清楚。
  • 遊話好好說:如何看待《仙劍奇俠傳6》眾籌
    那麼我們如何看待作為國產大作、經典系列的《仙劍》這次的眾籌呢?業界時尚,為我所用  「眾籌」這種方式想必玩家們這兩年不應該陌生。尤其是國外知名眾籌網站Kickstarter,經常關注業界的玩家應該知道它。眾籌本身的目的是在於激勵一些有創意的立項者,把他們的創意和成果搬到網上,集眾人之力幫助他們的項目能順利進行起來。
  • 如何看待網絡惡搞
    各位好,今天跟大家分享的話題是,如何看待網絡惡搞
  • 星空影院:印度電影《地球上的星星》
    作為教師、或者父母,我們是否有能力和胸懷去接納、理解和激勵那些看起來不走尋常路的所謂的「問題孩子」,去走一條屬於他們自己的路,綻放出自己的光芒。星空影院又為大家帶來新的影片啦!今天給大家講述的是一部印度電影《地球上的星星》。
  • 財付通:請理性看待微信紅包
    騰訊科技訊 1月28日消息,新年尚未到來,微信紅包已悄然走紅,成為朋友間傳遞快樂和年味的新方式。問:你認為微信紅包在朋友間火熱傳播的原因是什麼?吳毅:主要有三方面的原因吧:一是年關將近,大家對搶紅包有比較強的心理需求;二是微信作為一種社交工具,拉近了人與人之間的距離,讓它更貼近於真實世界的人際關係和社交屬性;三是在設計這個產品的過程當中,我們的確也考慮到一些好玩的元素,比如「拼手氣群紅包」,讓每個人拿到的紅包都是隨機的,這樣拆開時就會感覺到一種意外的驚喜
  • 超級高鐵 Hyperloop:屬於未來的第五種交通方式如何連接世界?
    為什麼世界需要 Hyperloop 呢?現在世界有四大主要交通方式:火車、汽車、飛機、船。他們對全世界帶來了巨大的影響,讓我們的生活變得更加好。但是從更大層面上而言,每一樣交通方式都有它自己的困境。他們這樣的系統正變得越來越擁堵,一方面讓我們提升了生產率;隨著人口增長,也讓每一個交通變得更加擁堵和不堪。
  • 日本電影:我們都是超能力者
    關注後可查看更多電影信息,這裡值得關注.
  • 一部電影改變流浪動物一生,善待生命我們可以做到!
    問:一部電影能做什麼?改變法律?改變國家?答:一部好電影確實可以做到。
  • 珍妮特·溫特森:你可以改變你的國籍、性別,但無法改變生活在這個世界的事實
    溫特森:我想使人們了解未來,並展示我們離那個未來有多近。英國退歐、川普、氣候崩潰、人工智慧的發展以及它將如何影響我們的生活——這些問題都沒有得到正確的關注。人們不會去考慮我們前進方向的深遠影響。因為我們非常愚蠢,所以我們將和我們自己創造的非生物生命形態共享地球,它們比我們更聰明!幹得好,人類!本書中的角色之一是一個跨性別的醫生。
  • 育碧遊戲:不好意思,我們全家都用Blender~
    Pierrot Jacquet: Ubisoft動畫工作室成立於2011年,是Ubisoft電影和電視的一部分,用於支持Rabbids入侵電視劇的創作。該團隊已經成功創造了從頭開始全球熱播的4個賽季,現在我們已準備好迎接下一階段。在育碧電影電視公司,我們的目標是建立一個獨立的製作公司,其靈感來自於育碧的世界。
  • 推·好看|第六十六期:《輔佐官:改變世界的人們》——在幽深黑暗裡尋找光明.
    電影不死之身、阿肯色、Reon、上海日記、解憂雜貨店韓劇
  • 暴雪宣布正在規劃魔獸世界新電影!網友:暴雪終於想起要幹正事了
    首先我們來嗶嗶一下《魔獸》電影。大家應該都記得幾年前《魔獸》電影上映時的火熱場景。但遺憾的是,電影的續集一直沒有消息,甚至一度傳言由於暴雪不滿意電影效果,續集已被取消。不過最近傳出好消息:暴雪可能打算重啟《魔獸》電影了。