When doing business with Native Speakers of English you will hear a lot of metaphors and idiomatic expressions used. They can relate to all sorts of areas like war, fire, health.
當和母語為英語的人做生意時,你會聽到他們使用很多隱喻和慣用用語。它們可以涉及到戰爭、火災、健康等各種領域。
One of the biggest areas is sports. If you want to use these Business English phrases like a native speaker, it would be useful to have an understanding of what they are and what they mean.
體育是這些隱喻和慣用語涉及最大的領域之一。如果你想像本地人一樣使用商務英語短語,了解有哪些短語和它們的意思是非常有用的。
By the way, using phrases will help you to speak English fluently.
順便說一下,這些短語可以使你的英語更加流利。
In this blog post, I』d like to explore the strong relationship that exists between sports and business. If you look at the qualities that sports and business share, you』ll begin to see why Business English has so many sporting metaphors.
在這篇博文中,我想探討體育與商業之間的緊密關係。如果你看看體育和商業之間的共同點,你就會明白為什麼商業英語有這麼多的體育隱喻。
Kick off
開始
to start
開始
Good Morning everyone. Shall we kick off the meeting then? (Football)
大家早上好。那麼我們開始開會好嗎?(足球)
ON TARGET (english phrase)
瞄準目標
making good progress and likely to achieve what has been planned
取得很好的進展並有可能實現計劃中的目標
It looks like we are pretty much on target with this project. (Archery)
看來我們在這個項目上的目標是有可能實現的。(射箭)
Up to scratch
達到標準
to be of a good standard
達到很棒的標準
I know we have a great team whose work is really up to scratch. (Track and Field)
我知道我們有一個很棒的團隊,他們的工作真的很出色。(田徑)
Know the ropes
知曉內情
to be able to do something well
能夠做好某事
Our new Sales Director has a lot of experience and really knows all the ropes. (Sailing)
我們的新銷售主任經驗豐富,而且懂得一切訣竅。(帆船)
Ballpark figure
大概的數字
a rough estimate
粗略的估計
Can you give me a ballpark figure on the total sales costs? (Baseball)
你能給我一個大概的總銷售成本數嗎?(棒球)